The “all about me”-post theme has been going around the running blogger circles for a couple of months now (at least to my knowledge), and my blogging friend Salt just issued an open tag for her readers to write their own post. As I’m just getting back to my normal blogging frequency and
starved moderately hungry for blog post ideas, this came at the perfect time. So here I go!
4 names that people call me:
2. Mol. My aunt and best friend call me this, which is funny because my parents settled on my name because they didn’t want it to be shortened, and a short name like “Molly” is pretty difficult to shorten. Not so, apparently!
3. Mom. My favorite moniker.
4. Sunshine. My nickname during law school, which is pretty hilarious considering my husband calls me “Debbie Downer.”
4 jobs that I’ve had:
2. Waitress/Server. Everyone should work in the food service industry at least once in one’s life to know how to deal with the general public with finesse. Although it’s a tough job, there’s nothing like getting to exercise (endless walking between tables and kitchen) and eat (snacking on french fries fresh from the hopper) while on the job.
3. Retail stockperson. I did seasonal work for a national, high-end department store when I was in high school. I experienced back pain for the first time in my life as a 15-year-old. Really unpleasant job.
4. Receptionist. I worked for a couple of years as a receptionist at a large real estate brokerage when I was in college. Highlights: Getting yelled at by the top-producing agent and having my shoulders inappropriately massaged by a male agent who was 20 years older than me without my consent. Lesson learned: I don’t want to be the lowest person on the totem pole in an employment setting.
4 movies I’ve watched more than once:
1. “Sound of Music”
2. “Sixteen Candles”
3. “Silence of the Lambs”
4. “Home Alone.” Just when you thought this category was brought to you by the letter “S,” I thought I would throw you off and sneak in one of my kids’ favorite movies. I swear they’ve watched this about 5 times in the last year, and not just during the holiday season. My son wants to be Kevin McAllister.
4 books I recommend:
1. Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar, Cheryl Strayed. Great book; one of my favorites of 2014. Click on the link to learn why.
2. Little Bee, Chris Cleave. As an international traveler, this novel really struck a nerve with me. It still haunts me years after reading it.
3. Valley of the Dolls, Jacqueline Susann. The best trashy novel ever. Evarrrrrr!
4. The Sisters Brothers, Patrick deWitt. A modern western novel, and so, so good. Not what you would expect.
5. In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, Nathaniel Philbrick. The most captivating non-fiction I’ve ever read. I have no interest in maritime history but this book hooked me and I finished it in less than a day. Read it before the movie comes out.
4 places I’ve lived:
1. Tacoma, WA. My home! I love it, read why here.
3. Virginia. A little piece of my heart belongs to the Commonwealth.
4. Bellingham, WA
4 places I’ve been:
1. The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain. I stayed up all night at the Festival of San Fermin and watched the first running of the bulls that year. It was the craziest thing I’ve ever experienced.
2. Hong Kong. Hot, bustling, sticky, crowded.
3. Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Too much. Just too much everything.
4. Beneath “the touch” at the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City. Amazeballs.
5. At a private supper club in Paris. The most magical night of my life.
4 places I’d rather be now:
4. New Orleans. But not during Mardi Gras!
4 things I don’t eat:
2. Entrails. Unless they’re in sausages and therefore indistinguishable from other non-organ-meats. What I don’t know can’t hurt me, right?
3. Almonds. Because allergic!
4. Bird’s Nest Soup. Ate it in Hong Kong, don’t need to eat it again. It’s made with bird saliva, folks.
4 of my favorite foods:
3. Alaskan Salmon
4. Cheeseburgers. Duh…
4 TV shows I watch:
1. “Veep.” Love this show, love JLD (Julia Louis Dreyfus). The best DC show, in my opinion. (Sorry, “House of Cards” and “Scandal.”)
2. “The Fall.” My newest obsession from the BBC. Added bonus: This show stars Jamie Dornan! Swoon.
4. “The Bachelor.” See my Twitter feed.
4 things I’m looking forward to this year:
1. Qualifying for the Boston Marathon again
2. Visiting DC with my family. I’m already scouting restaurants!
3. Going on a ski trip with my best friend
4. Running the Chicago Marathon
4 things I’m always saying:
1. “Are you serious?”
2. “I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you.” Sad, but true. Not because I’m not paying attention, but because I attended many concerts in my youth and didn’t wear ear protection. Wear ear plugs, party people!
3. “Shhh.” According to my kids.
4. “Totally.” I’m a recovering Valley Girl.
Don’t you feel like you totally know me now?
If you’re reading this, consider yourself tagged!